Sunday 19 February 2012

What is inflammation?

In the paleo/primal world, "inflammation" is thrown around everywhere. Don't eat this because it can cause inflammation. Eat this to prevent inflammation. Take these supplements to help inflammation. Auto-immune diseases, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer can all be caused by inflammation in the body.


Whenever I get someone who is intrigued by my odd eating habits who let me explain why I don't eat grains, legumes and dairy is because of the inflammation it can cause in the body, they seem to just smile and nod and let me keep going. But did they actually understand?


The first thought that comes into my mind, and probably the general public's, when I hear "inflammation", is some kind of acute injury that has become swollen and inflamed. But I'm not sure if people really understand what kind of "inflammation" I'm talking about and what it can do to your body and health. I guess I need to be more specific and that I'm talking about chronic inflammation and left unaddressed, chronic inflammation can cause serious long-term damage.


So what is inflammation?
Inflammation is an immune response. When a person experiences pain, injury or illness the immune system is activated causing inflammation. It occurs when blood cells, antibodies and other immune system components are directed to the site that’s under stress in an attempt to repair the damage.


Acute inflammation to some kind of injury or pathogen is a healthy response to a harmful condition. It is short-term and may last several days, but is necessary for proper healing.


Chronic inflammation is a constant low-level reaction that can spread damage throughout the body. Researchers from a variety of medical areas repeatedly conclude that inflammation plays a major role in a variety of illnesses.  The the body's defense system -- the immune system -- triggers an inflammatory response when there are no foreign substances to fight off. The body's normally protective immune system causes damage to its own tissues. The body responds as if normal tissues are infected or somehow abnormal. 


What can result from chronic inflammation

Some not mentioned: insulin resistance, depression, obesity, chronic pain


Some major contributors to chronic inflammation:
High sugar, high carbohydrate, low-fat diets (i.e. a diet high in omega -6 fatty acids)
Lack of Omega-3 fatty acids in the diet
Not enough sleep
Lack of exercise
Stress


So to reduce chronic inflammation it basically comes down to eating real, whole foods (that means fresh food, nothing from a package or plastic/cardboard box Mom), getting 8-9 hours of sleep every night, reducing your stressors and being active. 

Mark's Daily Apple had a good article about inflammation.

2 comments:

  1. I don't eat packaging :)
    But seriously, I'm trying, Lauren! Your dedication and drive are truly inspiring. Xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)  

    ReplyDelete